[PROJ] Preferred grid format for transformations?

Chris Crook ccrook at linz.govt.nz
Mon Nov 25 13:22:29 PST 2019

Hi Brian

Also picking up on this  - for a while Land Information New Zealand (LINZ) has been looking for a suitable format for publishing our deformation model - essentially a 3d time dependent transformation model.  This includes both a secular velocity model as well as 3d deformation grids for significant earthquakes.

I am writing a  proposal for extending the GeoTIFF format to fully encode this transformation - I hope to submit this proposal as a document for comment to this list by the end of this week.  The functional model LINZ uses for deformation is relatively simple and generalised - what I am hoping is that the format will be useful beyond LINZ usage.  This proposal essentially adds some metadata to the GeoTIFF format that defines how the component grids are used to determine the point displacements at any time.

Cheers
Chris