[PROJ] "Trustworthiness" of vertical transformations

Brian Shaw brian.shaw at noaa.gov
Wed Nov 27 08:54:45 PST 2019

Just a few things to note from my perspective but certainly not
"official" from the US National Geodetic Survey (NGS).  Probably more
information than you want to know but I believe it can be helpful to
have a general skepticism in transformations and vertical
transformations in particular.  I also apologize since this email got
quite lengthy.

Vertical datums in the US have inherent errors that cause uncertainty in
places due to systematic errors or incorrect assumptions.  Here is a
little information about the historical US vertical datums and Ill note
the future datum should be far more accurate since it will be derived
primarily through terrestrial, aerial and satellite gravity measurements.

NGVD29 used 26 tide gauges across North America as constraints and made
the assumption that sea level was the same in all places, which we now
know is not the case.  This caused inherent errors in the middle of the
country where data was made to "fit" through least squares adjustments
causing inaccurate heights due to the assumption that all tide gauges
were a height of 0.

NAVD88 tried to rectify this by only using one tide gauge as a
constraint.  This caused the systematic errors in the leveling to
propagate across the country.  Today people get NAVD88 heights by tying
into bench marks that have NAVD88 heights on them which allows for them
to get consistent heights in NAVD88 and is precise and provides
repeatable heights, but precision is not accuracy as we are seeing while
planning for the new datum in 2022.

Here at NGS we are working on a new datum and you can see the systematic
errors from NAVD88 in this map
<ftp://ftp.ngs.noaa.gov/dist/bshaw/Approximate_Vertical_Change_2022_sm.png>
that shows the estimated change that will occur from NAVD88 to the new
Geopotential Datum (Vertical Datum).  Its called "Geopotential" since it
will be developed primarily through gravity and not hundreds of
thousands of kilometers of leveling like past vertical datums.

A note on transformations in general is you should understand that
almost all transformations are often termed mapping grade which is fine
for GIS but not for geodetic coordinates.  You should also understand
the uncertainties of the datums being used.  For instance if you are
using WGS84 coordinates you should understand that just by using that
datum you are introducing 3-5 meters of uncertainty in the horizontal
coordinates, I'm not sure about vertically. Geodetically the best rule
of thumb for having the most accurate coordinates is to preserve your
original observations and process them in the datum of choice.  That is
not always possible since you may not be the person/group collecting the
data but it is something to keep in mind.

A closing note on accuracies as mentioned below by Kristian is that not
all people report accuracies in the same way.  Even here at NGS there
are different products that report in different measures. Some report at
the one sigma level (standard deviation, square root of variance) also
described as having 68% confidence in the value. Others report at the
two sigma level (variance, std dev squared) which is often termed having
95% confidence in the value.  So I would encourage you to know what
sigma is used to report the accuracy and also understand this may just
be the accuracy estimated in the datum which doesnt necessarily account
for the uncertainty in the datum itself.

Cheers
Brian

--
Brian Shaw