[PROJ] Future maintainance releases

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Wed Oct 30 06:45:57 PDT 2019

Bas Couwenberg <sebastic at xs4all.nl> writes:

> [info about proj6 migration status]

>From my perspective on packaging many things, proj's trajectory of
deprecations is already feeling very rapid compared to how many things
depend on it.   Realize that people are still in the process of getting
off qt4.

pkgsrc is in a similar position to Debian, although less well baked,
with proj6 in wip (sort of like Debian unstable, but not really), and
having to define ACCEPT_USE_OF_DEPRECATED_PROJ_API_H to keep some things
building.

I don't want to have multiple proj versions in pkgsrc,a nd I don't want
to prclude libosmium, libspatialite, mapnik.

I feel that the "rip the bandaid off" notion is counterproductive, as it
really means "break things for users so that packagers have to decide
between old proj and dropping dependencies".

The real question is whether removing it would be a real gain, or just a
club to get people to update.  Certainly it's going to happen, but I
think it would be good to let the dust settle on proj6 first.  It feels
like we as a larger osgeo community are making progress on that and in 6
months or so I'd expect the situation is much better.