[PROJ] Future maintainance releases

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed Oct 30 12:39:20 PDT 2019

> That is certainly a possibility. But it is inevitable that the 6.x branch is
> going to go out of date no matter what.

Sure

> I don’t expect that we will be
> able to keep the EPSG database up to date for very long in 6.x for
> instance.

Once EPSG v10 is released, yes it won't be practical to update PROJ branches,
that haven't received the needed upgrades, with new EPSG databases (or that
would require to update the import script to do the necessary magic to deal
with the impedance mismatches)

> Right, in that case I think your proposal of introducing 6.3 in the next
> release cycle is the best thing to do. I will update the release schedule
> as follows:
> 6.3.0		January 1st 2020
> 7.0.0 + 6.3.1	March 1st 2020

Sounds good to me.

> From 7.0 and onwards I think I would like to move to issuing releases every
> three months as opposed to the bi-monthly cycle I’ve been keeping the last
> two years. It’s less of a burden on me preparing the releases and I expect
> the speed of development to slow down a bit now that the most significant
> chunks of database work is finalised.

Ah ah, do you think so ? Reminds me of this famous quote "I'm doing a (free)
operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for
386(486) AT clones"