[PROJ] OSGeo incubation status

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Mon Sep 9 12:06:06 PDT 2019

> For the review of the license status of the individual files I have created
a Google spreadsheet to keep track of the information.

I've just asked write permission to update a few things.
I believe that most of the code under src/projections originates from Gerald
Evenden's initial work, so basically any file originally coming from
https://download.osgeo.org/proj/from_kai/PROJ.4.3.3.tar.gz is Public Domain,
later relicensed to X/MIT by Frank Warmerdam.
For other files, "git log" on them and finding the original committer should
be good enough.

> I'm quite sure no one has signed one, and I do not see any reason for
> contributors to PROJ to sign one going forward.

Agreed. Given the super permissive license of MIT, there would be hardly no
reason to relicense the code to something else. A CLA might bring other
advantages (like having "legal certainty" that a contribution was really
intended to be made as open source), but having to manage that would bring
complication and would make some contributors to go away.