[PROJ] OSGeo incubation status - CLA

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 13:50:45 PDT 2019

I agree with Bas. I've been researching best practices into Open Source
licenses of late, and I'm now against CLAs. Further reason for proj:

* If at least one of your contributors won't sign the CLA, then you
won't be able to retrospectively collect all ownership rights and
allocate them to an entity (such as OSGeo). Thanks Bas for stating that
you would be one of those people and forcing the issue.

--

While I think the "do nothing" approach for proj would be best, you
might want to consider adding a statement along the lines of:

"If you contribute to Proj, we assume you do so under the terms of the
Developer Certificate of Origin (DCO):
https://developercertificate.org/" <https://developercertificate.org/>

The DCO is typically implemented with each contributor signing their
commit message, however, a statement above could be used instead (I
don't have legal advice on whether this is acceptable).

It also doesn't address retrospectively applying this.

Cheers, Cameron

--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier