[PROJ] Disable .local in 7.0.0RC default search paths

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Sun Feb 23 07:03:59 PST 2020

Roger,

> Trying out the RC with R package rgdal (Fedora 31), I see
> proj_info().searchpath returning:
>
> "/home/rsb/.local/share/proj:/usr/local/share/proj:/usr/local/share/proj"
>
> Where in the documentation or code is the recipe for disabling the
> creation of and writing of cache.db to .local/share/proj? No R package is
> permitted to write anything without positive user confirmation to anywhere
> other than R's per-session temporary directory.

Nothing is written in this directory, nor it is created, unless you enable
explicitly network functionality or use the new projsync utility.

If you don't want this directory to be looked for at all, you may call
proj_context_set_search_paths() to override the default search paths.

> pj_context_get_user_writable_directory(), which only takes the context and
> a boolean set defauly TRUE I think

No, the boolean has no default value. It is always called with create=false in
filemanager.cpp. Only with create=true in networkfilemanager.cpp when network
functionality is enabled

Obviously this should reassure you. PROJ 7 will hopefully not eat your
children :-)