[PROJ] Disable .local in 7.0.0RC default search paths

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Sun Feb 23 10:18:38 PST 2020

> Thanks, I guess the links will work once it is live

Yes

> - proj-ini isn't a function and grep doesn't find it in the 7.0.0 source

There:
https://github.com/OSGeo/PROJ/blob/master/docs/source/resource_files.rst#projini

> , environment
> variables are potentially fragile (multiple loaded packages in an R
> session may try to set them), so the proj_context_set_enable_network()
> function may work.
>
> However, in a long-running session is also not great. I've been creating
> and closing ctx handles before and after each use of PRØJ, I'll need to
> preserve the context for the duration of the session, I suppose, will I
> not?

Do you mean: if you want to enable network functionality ? You're not obliged to
change the way you manage PROJ contexts in that regard. But maintaining PROJ context
alive as long as possible is strongly encouraged for more performance if instanciating
many coordinate operations, independently of network functionality.

> I use this in the alternative workflow - list candidates and choose the
> best available, and go to proj_trans_* with a prepared pipeline. For 6,
> this was just giving the name of the grid - will 7 encode the part of the
> grid used, or will this also use the area of interest?

A grid should be considered as a single object. PROJ 7 with network functionality
enabled can download only the part of the grids needed, but this is an
implementation & optimization detail, not aimed to be user visible.