[PROJ] RFC4: last chance to comment before motion

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Sun Jan 5 16:44:52 PST 2020

On Sat, 4 Jan 2020 at 07:32, Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com> wrote:

> > And possibly, just do a
> > post-install, first run background task which bulk downloads the
> > complete set of grids from the CDN so that they're available
> > already...
>
> This brute force approach can work (unless we reach gigabytes of
> geodetic adjustment data :-))

The other issue would be keeping track of updates to the grids. I'm
guessing there's no public api for determining the grid changes
available?

> GDAL no longer uses Trac for RFCs, so on the same line as PROJ. I do agree
> with you that the current situation is slightly less convenient, as the
> integration with Sphinx requires merging into  the official tree to have final
> rendering. This is slightly complicated in PROJ case as proj.org is generated
> from the current of the stable branch, so each time a change would be done,
> that would require pushing into master + active branch, hence I'm differing
> that until the doc is in its final state. We would probably need to have
> some scratch area with the doc rendering coming from pull requests (something
> we have considered for GDAL actually, but not implemented)

Thanks for the explanation! Wouldn't it be possible to treat the RFC
text separate from the RFC implementation, and merge the RFC text
before the implementation is done/merged?

Nyall