[PROJ] RFC4: last chance to comment before motion

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Mon Jan 6 07:21:36 PST 2020

> Even in the HARN case, I think it's good for people to be able to know
> that "foo-1.0" is broken and "foo-1.0.1" is what they should use,
> instead of "I have foo-1.0; is that the ok version or not?"

For a number of uses of the API, like using the high level
proj_create_crs_to_crs(), people will not know which grids or version of grids
are used.

One downside of the strict versionning approach is that people using manual
pipelines like "+proj=hgridshift +grids=foo.tif", where foo.tif would be
provided by proj-datumgrid-geotiff-1.0.zip, would have to change it to
"+proj=hgridshift +grids=foov2.tif" if they upgrade to
proj-datumgrid-geotiff-1.1.zip where foo.tif has been replaced by foov2.tif.
Both a feature and a bug depending on the point of view...

> I would think the old files could be "git rm"ed, and the files built
> from them for distribution could remain.

Yes, I was thinking that the "aws s3 sync" we use to resynchroize the CDN with
the proj-datumgrid-geotiff repository would perhaps remove grids that are no
longer in the local source directory, but reading at the doc, it is only
additive by default, so yes removing from git master would be reasonable.