[PROJ] Vertical deflection: of interest for PROJ ?

Joel Haasdyk joel.haasdyk at customerservice.nsw.gov.au
Wed Jan 8 18:07:19 PST 2020

Great question Even,
Prompted me to review for myself...

As you point out yourself, a 50" deflection of the vertical would result in a deviation of 0.24m at a dHeight of 1000m.
However even at dHeight of only 10m, that means 2.4mm.
As Nyall points out... one man's noise is another man's signal; A couple of mm is a long way, in some applications.
I too would suggest/request that PROJ makes use of the best available information where possible.

Will E. Featherstone & Jean M. Rüeger (2000) The importance of using deviations of the vertical for the reduction of survey data to a geocentric datum, Australian Surveyor, 45:2, 46-61, DOI: 10.1080/00050326.2000.10440341 (available from https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00050326.2000.10440341 or by request to the author, perhaps),
describes these issues (and more) in detail. That paper aims to remind surveyors that modernising to a global ellipsoid (GRS80) would require use of these corrections, where they were previously largely ignored when using a local Australian ellipsoid (ANS).
It appears that you have likely read this document already;  the 50" deviation in your example is also the maximum deflection expected across the Australian continent (with average 6.8"), after it switched from a local to a global ellipsoid.

The paper discusses the importance for the SURVEY community in applications including:
     1. transformation between astronomical coordinates and geodetic coordinates;
     2. conversion between astronomic or gyro azimuths and geodetic azimuths;
     3. reduction of measured horizontal directions (and angles) to the ellipsoid;
     4. reduction of measured zenith angles to the ellipsoid;
     5. reduction of slope electronic distance measurements (EDM) to the ellipsoid using zenith angles; and
	[See table 10]
     6. determination of height differences from zenith angles and slope distances.
	[See table 16]

Some of the above (e.g. #1, #5, #6) are directly related to your coordinate transformation question.
[Apologies that I can't attach to link the source doc. It is for purchase, so it is not for me to distribute!]

Joel Haasdyk | GDA2020 Implementation Program Manager (NSW)
Spatial Services | Department of Customer Service p (02) 87376322 | m 0427 229 589 e Joel.Haasdyk at customerservice.nsw.gov.au
w www.spatial.nsw.gov.au
Level 14 West, McKell Building, 2-24 Rawson Place, Sydney NSW 2000

https://www.icsm.gov.au/gda2020 (FAQs & Forum)