[PROJ] Closing in on PROJ 7 release date

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Mon Jan 13 08:42:34 PST 2020

On 1/13/20 5:15 PM, Greg Troxel wrote:
> 5 really should still get microreleases for security fixes, if any.  I
> don't think we've yet arrived at the point where packaging systems can
> upgrade from 5 to 6 without orphaning packages.  (I'd like to hear where
> Bas is on this.)

Upgrading to PROJ 6 will likely require removing some dead projects, we
had to remove Geo::Proj4 (Perl bindings) and it Geo::Point rdep, along
with merkaartor from Debian as part of the transition to PROJ 6. And we
patched vtk6 & vtk7 to use the embedded copy of PROJ4 because only very
recent VTK releases support proj.h. Several projects like

The related transition to GDAL 3 also got dans-gdal-scripts, prepair &
pprepair removed because it's not updated for changes in that.

With the release of PROJ 7 on the horizon you should really start moving
to PROJ 6 for NetBSD. Not everything supports proj.h yet, but you can
build those projects with -DACCEPT_USE_OF_DEPRECATED_PROJ_API_H.

With the removal of proj_api.h from PROJ 7 there are still some blockers
like MapServer, SpatiaLite, libosmium and others. From that list only
MapServer and libosmium are actual blockers for me, I'm willing to
remove SpatiaLite from Debian if the current lack of stable upstream
releases with PROJ 6 support remain absent.

We'll have PROJ6 & GDAL3 in the next Debian stable release, and will
move to PROJ 7 during the development cycle for the release after that.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--
 GPG Key ID: 4096R/6750F10AE88D4AF1