[PROJ] Transverse and oblique Mercator

Pierre Abbat phma at bezitopo.org
Tue Jan 14 05:51:42 PST 2020

I've been working on a surveying CAD program, one of whose parts is converting
between lat/long and the coordinate systems used in surveying. I did Lambert
conformal conic first, since it's easier (and I live in North Carolina), then
figured out transverse Mercator. (I also did spherical stereographic, which
Bezitopo uses for internal purposes.) The test for projections, before I wrote
transverse Mercator, required that, at all but a negligible fraction of points
(i.e. a branch cut), the inverse projection of the projection of a point be
within 1 mm of the point and the distance between two points 1 m apart in a
random direction match the computed scale. When I added transverse Mercator, I
had to reduce all but a negligible fraction, but I lowered it to no less than
80%. It is accurate to within 100 µm over 71% of the earth, which is within
45° of the central meridian. How does this compare to PROJ?

Lambert conic and transverse Mercator together cover all but one of the US
state plane grids and all of UTM, but there are others. I'd like to understand
the oblique Mercator well enough to write code for it and what the differences
are (besides the obvious) between Alaska and Switzerland.

Pierre
--
ve ka'a ro klaji la .romas. se jmaji