[PROJ] Arc length of an ellipse

Pierre Abbat phma at bezitopo.org
Mon Jan 20 05:34:59 PST 2020

I'd like to make a separate transmer program which will compute the Fourier
series coefficients for transverse Mercator with greater precision than the
transmer program in Bezitopo does. To do this, I need to compute the arc
length from the equator to any point along the meridian of an ellipsoid.
Wikipedia says that elliptic integrals came from computing the arc length of
an ellipse, but doesn't explain how to compute the arc length using elliptic
functions. Do you know how to do this?

I won't get around to doing this until late March at the earliest. I'm going
to present at the MAA sectional, and to compute in 16-byte floats I need a
Power9 box, which I don't have yet.

Pierre
--
The Black Garden on the Mountain is not on the Black Mountain.