[PROJ] OSGeo incubation status

Martin Desruisseaux martin.desruisseaux at geomatys.com
Fri Jan 24 04:18:50 PST 2020

Le 24/01/2020 à 12:02, Kristian Evers a écrit :

>> Alternatively we need to convince IOPG to dual license the EPSG data
>> under and DFSG compatible license.
>>
> This is obviously the best option. As far as I am aware all attempts
> so far has been rejected by the IOGP. We can always try again, this
> time including a thorough analysis of the effects of PROJ not being
> able to provide access to the EPSG registry in a simple fashion. I
> suspect that PROJ indirectly is by far one of the biggest consumers of
> the registry. Maybe that can provide a bit of leverage?

I'm not sure that would be the best option. We are talking about
something more like "open standards" here, which is not the same than
"open source". There is some definition attempts about "open standards"
on Wikipedia and elsewhere. The concept is quite young compared to "open
source" so it is not yet well known. In essence "open standards" are
very similar to "open source" except for the right to modify: "open
standards" require modifications to be controlled by a standardization
body, provided that the standardization process is free,
non-discriminatory, etc. I think there is legitimate reasons for
restriction about modifications; a standard is not standard anymore if
anyone is free to modify it as they want. Hoping that projects will
behave as good citizens, or that non-compliant projects will be at
disadvantage compared to compliant projects, is not sufficient; it does
not happen like that in practice (PROJ 4 itself was an example).

About consumers of EPSG database, I think that ESRI is also a large
consumer. GeoTools/GeoServer have many users too. Finally Apache SIS has
between 100,000 and 200,000 downloads per month from Maven Central (not
counting Apache mirrors around the world) - but I suspect that most of
those downloads are indirect downloads as dependency of more well known
project like Apache Tika.

     Regards,

         Martin