[PROJ] proj-data is 500MB

Kristian Evers kristianevers at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 03:58:27 PDT 2020

> On 24 Jul 2020, at 15:28, Duncan Agnew <dagnew at ucsd.edu> wrote:
>
> I take Kristian's point, but FWIW would suggest that the geoid grids might be a separate download option, for those who want to be able to do heights. Those who don't plan to use this new functionality wouldn't need them, I assume.

Vertical offsets has been around in PROJ for 10 years, so I wouldn’t exactly call it new. Dividing the proj-data package into
various types of grids would result in the same complaints as the regional grid-packages did: Packagers still end up installing
everything and if they don’t users will complain that a particular transformation doesn’t work as they expect.

So it really boils down to either 1) just install everything or 2) use the dynamic downloading option.

/Kristian