[PROJ] Geodetic geotiff grid for bd72lb72_etrs89lb08.gsb

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed Jun 10 10:10:21 PDT 2020

Nicolas,

>    Is it possible to run it on bd72lb72_etrs89lb08.gsb with
> -- copyright " Derived from work by Nicolas SIMON - release in public
> domain under Creative Commons Attribution license (CC BY)"
> to stay compliant with licence statement  ?

We can change the current info, but the above suggested text doesn't make sense to me. You
have to choose between public domain or CC BY. This can't be both ("public domain" has a
precise meaning in copyright law. The closest to public domain in the Creative commons field
is CC0:
https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/). And if it is CC BY, who is the copyright
holder ?

For reference, here's what be_ign_README.txt currently says:

*License*: [Creative Commons Attribution 4.0](https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/
4.0/)
*Credit*: (c)2014-2016 Grid created by Nicolas SIMON.

and current content of the GeoTIFF file is:

  TIFFTAG_COPYRIGHT=Derived from work by IGN Belgium. Creative Commons Attribution
4.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/

> btw, I'd like to inform you that this transformation is also recognisa as
> EPSG:8369. This could help to facilitate the use of the transformation.

The grid is already registered for that transformation in the PROJ database:

$ projinfo -k operation EPSG:8369
PROJ string:
+proj=pipeline +step +proj=axisswap +order=2,1 +step +proj=unitconvert +xy_in=deg
+xy_out=rad +step +proj=hgridshift +grids=be_ign_bd72lb72_etrs89lb08.tif +step
+proj=unitconvert +xy_in=rad +xy_out=deg +step +proj=axisswap +order=2,1

$ projinfo -s "Belge 1972" -t ETRS89
Candidate operations found: 2
Operation No. 1:

DERIVED_FROM(EPSG):8369, BD72 to ETRS89 (3), 0.01 m, Belgium - onshore