[PROJ] Libtiff-4 error when compiling 7.0.0

Stefano Iacovella stefano.iacovella at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 02:49:53 PST 2020

Hi all,

I'm upgrading to new release 7.0.0 compiling from sources in a Linux Mint
box.
In the same server I previously installed 6.3.1 with no issues.
When I run the ,/configure command with 7.0.0 I got this error:

checking for SQLITE3... yes
checking for sqlite3... yes
checking for TIFF... configure: error: Package requirements (libtiff-4)
were not met:

No package 'libtiff-4' found

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables TIFF_CFLAGS
and TIFF_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.

I checked the packages installed on the server and there is a libtiff5 one.
It seems there is no libtiff-4 package in the repository:

~/sources/proj-7.0.0$ dpkg -l | grep libtiff
ii  libtiff5:amd64                             4.0.9-5ubuntu0.3
                    amd64        Tag Image File Format (TIFF) library

Any hint?

Thank you very much

Stefano