[PROJ] Explaining geodesic distance discrepancies

Charles Karney charles at karney.com
Fri May 15 15:33:33 PDT 2020

I believe PROJ does have some way of computing the scale of a
projection; but it uses numerical differencing.  GeographicLib computes
the scale of TM from an analytic expression, so it's probably more
accurate.  The command I used to get the scale (using GeographicLib) is:

     echo 0.5 |
     GeodSolve -I 31.4617 -83.4849 31.4704 -83.4781 -F -p 10 |
     cut -f1,2 -d' ' | GeoConvert -c -p 10
=>
     -1.2959245331415 1.000285683174366

The GeodSolve expression gets the midpoint of a geodesic.  GeoConvert -c
returns the meridian convergence and scale for the UTM projection.

The command line utility geod uses the same code as pyproj.Geod.  So
unless you have extra versions of geod lying around they should return
the same results.