[PROJ] EPSG:2163 is deprecated

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Thu Nov 5 05:07:32 PST 2020

Henry,

(I've manually forwarded your post to the list, but you should subscribe to
the mailing list in order to post here)

As far as I remember regarding the deprecation of EPSG:2163, I noticed in a
recent EPSG release that the underlying datum of EPSG:2163 which is EPSG:4052
"Unspecified datum based upon the Clarke 1866 Authalic Sphere" was now
deprecated, but EPSG:2163 was still non-deprecated, which isn't very logical.
IOGP conclusion was that EPSG:2163 had to be deprecated, and they created
EPSG:9311 as the future proof CRS.

The automated substitution is done by GDAL
OGRSpatialReference::ImportFromEPSG() method. I admit this may be a bit
surprising. If I remember well, this was to emulate a past GDAL behaviour
where some deprecated Italian CRS had an override in the .csv files GDAL
handled to "fix" it to have an equivalent definition of the non-deprecated
newer CRS. The cleanest way with the now PROJ mechanism was to identify the
non-deprecated version of a deprecated CRS instead, but I can see this is not
always desirable.

You can opt out for that automatic substituion by setting the
OSR_USE_NON_DEPRECATED environment variable to NO

Even