[PROJ] Installing PROJ on a Mac

Paul Harwood runette at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 15:40:12 PST 2020

I did a quick clean install of QGIS 3.16 onto a Mac (I needed to do it
anyway).

If you go to the menu in QGIS ->"QGIS" -> "About QGIS" it will tell the
version of Proj it was compiled against and the version that it is running
against. For QGIS 31.6 on the Mac. - this reported as 6.3.2.

I don't know why the Mac package appears still to be on 6.3.2 - you have to
ask QGIS that. And Proj is built into the QGIS app as a dylib shared object
- so it does NOT include the proj command line executable.

For Future Reference :

The tar files you downloaded are the source code and cannot be installed.

HomeBrew on the Mac - the "brew" command  - is a mac system that downloads
executables and installs them. That command SHOULD have worked. If it did
not - you will need to get support from HomeBrew and not here. However - I
would not use it anymore. If you want to install locally - then the Conda
command at the top of the install page is a much better option and works on
a Mac if you have installed Conda (another package management application).
HOWEVER - none of that will do what you want - since even if you installed
Proj using Conda on your mac and ran the proj command (which should work) -
the version of proj you will be running is NOT the same version as QGIS is
running - since QGIS has its own instance built into the app.

YOU COULD DO THIS:

Install Conda - see
https://docs.conda.io/projects/conda/en/latest/user-guide/install/
Install gdal - see https://gdal.org/download.html#conda

That should get you GDAL 3.2.0 which includes Proj 7.1.1

Then use the gdal_warp command to reproject your data - see
https://gdal.org/programs/gdalwarp.html#gdalwarp

This is what QGIS uses to reproject. - just without the GUI.