[PROJ] Why is Web Marcator EPSG:3857 so popular for web maps (vs EPSG:4326)?

Lesparre, Jochem Jochem.Lesparre at kadaster.nl
Thu Nov 26 06:53:24 PST 2020

Hi Idan,

I would like to point out a few issues:

  *   WGS84 is not a projection, therefore it has no projection distortions. The world is an ellipsoid in WGS84, not a rectangular map. The deformations you refer to is what you get when ones uses the platte-carée projection (x=longitude, y=latitude) as for instance QGIS does by default. Google Earth instead uses a globe for WGS84, so it has (almost) no distortions.
  *   EPSG:4326 is a bad choice for a CRS, as it is 2D and because it is a datum ensemble. It is better specify a specific reference frame (e.g. WGS84-G1761). Or even better: to use the official international terrestrial reference system (e.g. ITRF2014) in stead of a CRS defined by the military of one random country.
  *   Web Mercator is an approximation mixing spherical formulas and ellipsoidal coordinates. Therefore it is not conformal. True Mercator is a better choice as it is conformal. I do not believe the more complex computation is a real problem for modern computers.

Kind regards, Jochem