[PROJ] Ellipsoidal height VCRS in WKT/EPSG

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Tue Sep 1 06:25:46 PDT 2020

Javier,

> Does exist any EPSG or WKT for a Vertical CRS that means "ellipsoidal
> height"?

No, and this is by design. Ellipsoidal height doesn't make sense, from a referencing point of
view, if the longitude,latitude of the point where you measure it is not specified as well,
hence the need for a Geographic3D CRS. This is contrary to a gravity-based height, where if
someone gives you just the the elevation at 2 points, you can for example know from which
point towards which one water would flow.

See http://docs.opengeospatial.org/is/18-010r7/18-010r7.html
"""
3.1.19 ellipsoidal height

    distance of a point from the reference ellipsoid along the perpendicular from the
reference ellipsoid to this point, positive if upwards or outside of the reference ellipsoid

    Note 1 to entry: Only used as part of a three-dimensional ellipsoidal coordinate system or
as part of a three-dimensional Cartesian coordinate system in a three-dimensional projected
coordinate reference system, but never on its own.
"""

Very early versions of the EPSG dataset (like 10 years ago or more) add codes for vertical CRS
with ellipsoidal height, but this was removed in later versions. Some remains of that are still
found in the GeoTIFF 1.0 specification that hard-coded such dataset, but they have
disappeared since, and are no longer allowed in GeoTIFF 1.1. I've seen recently also some
WKT-1 string for LAS files that were using a ellipsoidal vertical CRS as part of a compound
CRS, but this is no longer considered as geodetic-savy practice.

> I don't want to "promoteTo3D" the 2D CRS  adding the third axis, because it
> removes the authority.

For projected CRS, yes, since there is currently no Projected 3D CRS in EPSG
For geographic CRS, to the extent where there's a 3D version of the one you promote to 2D
registered, promoteTo3D should attach the code of the 3D CRS:

$ projinfo EPSG:4326 --3d
    ID["EPSG",4979]]