[PROJ] CRS explorer

Javier Jimenez Shaw j1 at jimenezshaw.com
Sun Dec 5 02:18:53 PST 2021

On Sat, 4 Dec 2021 at 13:54, Lesparre, Jochem <Jochem.Lesparre at kadaster.nl>
wrote:

> Hi Javier,

Jochem, Thanks for you answer and suggestions.

Thanks for the nice improvements. I like the name filtering! It could be
> useful to be able to use this for other columns too, like the area of use
> and code.

I thought about that, but finally decided not doing it. When you search for
the code, you want a single result (you don't want to "filter"): Ctrl+F
does that much better ;) About the area of use, their names are really
confusing sometimes. And it may collide with the CRS name. Picking a point
in the map would be better IMO.
BTW, the filter field tries to work like many search engines: use
double-quotes (") for searches with spaces, and a dash (-) to implement a
"not" filter... and combine as many as you want. It is explained in the
info (i) link.

> I was wondering: Since you give the option to sort on a column, why do you
> present the CRS types (Projected, Geographic, Geocentric etc.) in separate
> tables? If you add a column for the CRS type in the table, then you could
> present everything in a single table and an user can still sort on CRS type
> if needed. The advantage would be that the user can also sort on other
> columns for all CRS types at once.

Yes, it was also in the backlog of ideas. I would give the option to
display one way or the other, but may take some time to implement (yes, I
like giving options to the user... and later they ask what does it do ;).

> What does the option Sticky map do?

"Sticks" the map to the top of the viewport when you scroll down due to a
large table. See next answer.

What function does the checkbox in the column Area of use have?

Displays a green rectangle in the map with the area(s) of use selected.
Just hovering with the mouse shows an orange rectangle. Now you understand
why you need the sticky map option.

> Regards, Jochem

Cheers,
Javier.