[PROJ] How to do Helmert transformation with +exact option in QGIS?

Lesparre, Jochem Jochem.Lesparre at kadaster.nl
Tue Feb 9 15:46:39 PST 2021

Nyall wrote:
> Actually since 3.10 we've also supported direct WKT(2) definitions of custom CRS, and the GUI strongly pushes users towards defining custom projections using WKT over PROJ now :)

Yes, I noticed. It's good to have that option too. Although, I do not find it so easy to define a CRS like that, as WKT is not very compact and it is really hard for a human to get the parenthesis right. But, I willing to accept that if there is a way to refer to the exact Helmert transformation with WKT! Is this possible?

Kristian wrote:
> If it is super important to you, you may be able to hack the proj.db that QGIS opens and add your own custom CRS and transformations. Not sure I would recommend that though :-)

I have no objection against editing the proj.db myself, however the CRS should be usable by other people too. My idea was to provide a simple instruction on how to add a custom CRS in QGIS, until I would get this CRS added to the EPSG registry. But I might need to get the exact Helmert method added to EPSG first.

Kristian wrote:
> Any chance I might be able to define my own PROJ transformation pipeline between a layer CRS and the project CRS then? That’d be handy from time to time and would probably also fix Jochems problem.

I'm not sure how this would work. I start to think that the best available solution is to create a hgridshift file. Unfortunately, that would give me the same horizontal coordinates at any height. Due to the large rotations of the CRS and a volcano in the area of interest, this would cause a horizontal error of 0.1 metre between points at sea level and the highest point. Unless, I create a really dense hgridshift file to let it give the right horizontal results at DTM height. But that would be bit complex.

Regards, Jochem

Disclaimer:
De inhoud van dit bericht is uitsluitend bestemd voor geadresseerde.
Gebruik van de inhoud van dit bericht door anderen zonder toestemming van het Kadaster
is onrechtmatig. Mocht dit bericht ten onrechte bij u terecht komen, dan verzoeken wij u
dit direct te melden aan de verzender en het bericht te vernietigen.
Aan de inhoud van dit bericht kunnen geen rechten worden ontleend.

Disclaimer:
The content of this message is meant to be received by the addressee only.
Use of the content of this message by anyone other than the addressee without the consent
of the Kadaster is unlawful. If you have received this message, but are not the addressee,
please contact the sender immediately and destroy the message.
No rights can be derived from the content of this message.