[PROJ] PROJ 8

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu Feb 18 02:33:17 PST 2021

Thanks, Kristian!

On Thu, 18 Feb 2021, Kristian Evers wrote:

> Roger,
>
> The release is scheduled for March 1st and I will put out a release
> candidate within the next 2 or 3 days. As usual.

Good.

> The schedule for upcoming release can be found here
> https://github.com/OSGeo/PROJ/milestones. I will add the next years'
> worth of releases soon, but generally we do bi-monthly releases with
> alternating patch and minor version releases. Release candidates go out
> roughly a week before the release. We don't do alpha or beta versions.
> For that you will have to track changes in master. You probably already
> knew that.

Yes.

> The major change this time is the removal of proj_api.h. This has been
> announced well in advance so I don't think a larger time gap between RC
> and final release will make any difference if downstream projects
> haven't adapted yet.

Right, R packages are OK and condition on PROJ version (the Solaris test
platform is stuck at 5.2.0).

> I don't anticipate any major issues with the upcoming release but since
> this is a major version bump there is always a risk. I would expect any
> problems to be related to changes in the autotools/CMake setups, those
> are usually found quickly by the packagers and easily resolved. In case
> something larger surfaces we can postpone the final release until that
> is taken care of.
>
> On a related note, if someone out there should be eager to take on the
> role of release manager for PROJ I am happy to hand over that
> responsibility. It is definitely possible to run a tighter ship,
> unfortunately I just haven't got the available time for that.

I understand; other important components are in the same position. I
think, however, that the introuction of pipelines, the transition to an
SQL database, and the availability of the CDN have moved PROJ to a much
better position. Thanks very much for having really made a difference!

Roger