[PROJ] Question Regarding GPU Acceleration

Rohan Wagle rwagle at umich.edu
Tue Feb 23 12:43:05 PST 2021

Hello everyone,

We are a group of computer engineering graduate students from The
University of Michigan, currently taking a course on parallel computer
architecture (https://www.eecs.umich.edu/courses/eecs570/). As part of our
course’s curriculum, we will be working on an open ended semester-long
project, related to parallel computing. For this project, we are very
interested in contributing code to the Proj codebase to parallelize
computations, using GPU multithreading.

>From our cursory evaluation of Proj’s documentation and git repository, it
appears many of the projections, conversions, and transforms exhibit data
parallelism, presenting an opportunity for acceleration via multithreading.
We explored the codebase and documentation to check if any prior work had
been done in parallelizing Proj modules, which led us to some references to
cpu multithreading, but nothing GPU-based.

We are interested in writing Nvidia CUDA GPU kernels to accelerate certain
modules of Proj. However, we first wanted to check with the Proj community
to see whether anyone is aware of prior efforts in parallelizing Proj
modules with GPU kernels, or could point us towards more information
regarding the previous work with cpu-multithreading. Additionally, does
anyone have recommendations of modules which the community would greatly
benefit from, if GPU support was added?

Thank you,
Alhad Daftardar, Vaanshik Mahindroo, Venkat Vetsa, Rohan Wagle
The University of Michigan - EECS Department