[PROJ] Am I supposed to get same results with libproj if passing proj4 +proj from/to crs ?

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Wed Nov 10 07:04:45 PST 2021

On Wed, Nov 10, 2021 at 03:39:07PM +0100, Even Rouault wrote:

> > Thanks. I confirm moving /usr/share/proj/conus away gives me the
> > suboptimal result unless I set PROJ_NETWORK=ON env variable.
> >
> > Now back to pyproj: the python module seems to ship with its own
> > libproj shared library, which does NOT find the "conus" grid.
> > It works fine with PROJ_NETWORK=ON but otherwise it gives the
> > suboptimal result.
> >
> > How do I tell in which paths does such library look into,
> > and Which env variable (if any) would give that library instruction
> > as to where to look for the grids ?
>
> More a question for https://github.com/pyproj4/pyproj

Well, I figured how to tell and found that the binary installed
by pyproj via pip is using PROJ 8.1.1 and a custom directory
for PROJ_DATA, and the directory does NOT have the "conus" grid.

Is this a known removal from PROJ 7.2.1 to PROJ 8.1.1
or is that a pyproj packaging bug to miss that ?

--strk;