[PROJ] Am I supposed to get same results with libproj if passing proj4 +proj from/to crs ?

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Wed Nov 10 13:12:51 PST 2021

On Thu, Nov 11, 2021 at 09:40:20AM +1300, Mike Taves wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Nov 2021 at 04:04, Sandro Santilli <strk at kbt.io> wrote:
> > Is this a known removal from PROJ 7.2.1 to PROJ 8.1.1
> > or is that a pyproj packaging bug to miss that ?
>
> One potential behaviour is that when PROJ_NETWORK is not defined, it
> is assumed to be OFF.

Was it ON by default in 7.2.1 ?

> Example with pyproj-3.0.1-cp36-cp36m-manylinux2010_x86_64.whl via pip:
>
> import os
> from pyproj.transformer import TransformerGroup
> tg = TransformerGroup("EPSG:32040", "EPSG:3857")
> # shows UserWarning: Best transformation is not available ...
> print(tg)
> # <TransformerGroup: best_available=False>
> # - transformers: 7
> # - unavailable_operations: 4

My actual problem with the pyproj package is that a grid
which was available *offline*, locally, in 7.2.1, is NOT
shipped with the 8.1.1 libproj coming with the pyproj .whl
package. The grid is available, when I build pyproj against
the system-installed libproj package (and data).

A possible workaround could be using some env variable
to tell the pyproj bundled libproj to look in the system
directories for grid files...

--strk;