[PROJ] Is CRS84 a datum ensemble?

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Thu Aug 18 06:07:00 PDT 2022

Luís,

http://www.opengis.net/def/crs/OGC/1.3/CRS84 is the verbose definition
of OGC CRS84.

It uses the EPSG:6326 datum (now modeled as a datum ensemble in EPSG v10
database releases).

The following remarks in the definition makes it clear that the intent
if to be based on the datum ensemble rather than a particular realization:

<gml:remarks>
EPSG::6326 has been the then current realization. No distinction is made
between the original and subsequent (G730, G873, G1150, G1674 and G1762)
WGS 84 frames. Since 1997, WGS 84 has been maintained within 10cm of the
then current ITRF.
</gml:remarks>

For all purposes, OGC:CRS84 is identical to EPSG:4326 but the axis order.

Even