[PROJ] Pitching the proj project to Google's Geo team

Cameron Shorter shortcam at google.com
Tue Aug 23 04:38:15 PDT 2022

Thanks all for your excellent responses and suggestions.
It has been great to discover that Googler Kurt is on the proj PSC, and he
will be a better person than me to be a conduit between proj and Google,
especially at the super detailed technical level. (That will be a point on
my slide).

I'll be talking at a fairly high level discussion. Key points:
* The basemap owner sets the projection for maps based on this basemap, so
there is a duty of basemap owners to get this right. (Hint-hint Google)
* WGS84 is a poor selection for a tiled basemap + a few of the high level
reasons mentioned here and in other sources
* We need to collect epoch when capturing data when using dynamic datums
* OGC standards need to be updated as well
* ... and a bit more which I'm still working on
* This will be best solved in collaboration, and proj is one of the
communities that Google should develop a relationship with.

Feel free to continue the discussion on this thread, but note that I'll
have minimal bandwidth to incorporate further feedback.
Hopefully this presentation will lead to a broader engagement, with
some deep dive collaborative technical discussions.

Warm regards, Cameron