[PROJ] How to get started with CRS in WKT?

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Mon Dec 5 04:46:42 PST 2022

Jochem,

Is "read the spec", the answer you expected ;-) ? I'm afraid that's the
best I have: http://docs.opengeospatial.org/is/18-010r7/18-010r7.html

Regarding indentation, don't worry about that. Write your WKT as you can
in a file and then use "projinfo @your.wkt", and it will return a nicely
reformatted string. But you need to get brackets right, otherwise the
parser will be lost.

You may also try the PROJJSON encoding as an input and feed it to
"projinfo @your.json" and it will return a WKT, but I'm not sure it will
help you, as it is more oriented to be machine friendly.

For CRS definitions themselves, it is unlikely you can use the
transformation constructs if you intend to have your CRS in EPSG.
ABRIDGEDTRANSFORMATION is only for BoundCRS, and they are none of them
in EPSG. GEOGTRAN is a Esri WKT specific thing. COORDINATETRANSFORMATION
is for a standalone CoordinateTransformation object

If your ultimate goal is to provide CRS and coordinate transformations
to EPSG, then you don't need to create WKT. Go to
https://epsg.org/dataset-change-requests.html and click on the "Template
for data submission" link at the right of the page, and you'll get an
Excel spreadsheet where you'll get a form with the decomposition of the
objects.

Even