[PROJ] OGC/OSGeo/ASF code sprint: GIGS and GGXF proposals

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Mon Feb 21 07:18:27 PST 2022

Hi Martin,

thanks for letting us know.

A few points:

- I'm not sure the PROJ project has a plan to adopt GGXF as being a
format it would read out-of-the-box, mostly because we're quite happy
with the Geodetic TIFF Grids (GTG) that we have been using in production
for more than 2 years now, including in a CDN context. And also because
reading netCDF-4 file would mean to add a new heavy dependency to PROJ.
If GGXF eventually comes into common usage, we'll probably use a
converter script to create GTG files from it, unless it comes with real
unique features, used in practice, that we can't reasonably port to GTG.
So if someone is interested by that activity in the context of this code
sprint, developing such script, probably using netcdf4-python to read
GGXF and GDAL Python bindings to write GeoTIFF, would probably the most
useful outcome.

- regarding GIGS, PROJ has a subset of (I'm not sure which version of)
them as scripts executable by its gie utility in
https://github.com/OSGeo/PROJ/tree/master/test/gigs

Even