[PROJ] WGS84(Natural Earth data) to sphere

Gonzo Bard gonzo.bard at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 07:38:36 PST 2022

> Why do you want to convert the points to an sphere? GeoJSON is also
defined in WGS84

GeoJSON data is rendered in the browser using projections:
Web Mercator - https://github.com/d3/d3-geo#geoMercator
Stereographic North - https://github.com/d3/d3-geo#geoStereographic
According to the developer of the projection engine, it is expected that
geographic points transferred to the projection lie on a sphere:
https://github.com/d3/d3-geo/issues/265#issuecomment-1234323369

On the other hand, the data I want to place on the map is only prepared
under the assumption that the planet is a spheroid.

Based on NGA research:
https://web.archive.org/web/20141009142830/http://earth-info.nga.mil/GandG/wgs84/web_mercator/(U)%20NGA_SIG_0011_1.0.0_WEBMERC.pdf
see Figure A1 – Latitude versus Absolute Projection Difference (in
kilometers)
I came to the conclusion that the users of my application can be
significantly misled (up to several tens of kilometers).