[PROJ] Helmert and coordinate convertion question

Søren Holm sgh at sgh.dk
Wed Nov 16 05:25:42 PST 2022

Thanks for the answer Kristian

It does make sense, however I do not think it is what I want.

I imagined something like this: WGS84 -> ETMERC -> HELMERT

Funny thing is that a 2D helmert works just fine:

+proj=etmerc .... +step +proj=helmert +convention=coordinate_frame ...
+theta=12345

A 3D helmert does not work - it just complains that the units are
mismatching.

Why do 2D helmert work when 3D helmert fails? - they both require
cartesian coordinates. Etmerc outputs projected coordinates which makes
it even more strange. The documentation does not say much about
projected coordinates and why they are different from cartesian.