[PROJ] How to use the tag GEOIDMODEL

Javier Jimenez Shaw j1 at jimenezshaw.com
Thu Sep 22 09:46:58 PDT 2022

Hi

When there are several geoid models for a vertical system, is there a way
to force in WKT2 to use a specific one?
I know in the US I can use the values in the geoid_model table (for
instance using the method AuthorityFactory::getGeoidModels), GEOID18 or
GEOID12B. Or GGM10 for Mexico, that also uses NAVD88.
        GEOIDMODEL["GEOID18"]

However there are other places where those geoid models are not added to
the proj.db database, like
fr_ign_RAF18.tif: France, IGN France, RGF93 (EPSG:4965) to NGF-IGN69 height
(EPSG:5720)
and
fr_ign_RAF09.tif: France, IGN France, RGF93 (EPSG:4965) to NGF-IGN69 height
(EPSG:5720)

Even Rouault mentioned some time ago that the epsg.org purpose of that
field was to set not just a name, but the transformation id itself, as
shown in http://docs.opengeospatial.org/is/18-010r7/18-010r7.html , section
10.4
        GEOIDMODEL["CGG2013",ID["EPSG",6648]]

So to force the French vertical crs to use one or the other we should write
something like
        GEOIDMODEL["RAF09",ID["EPSG",8371]]
or
        GEOIDMODEL["RAF18",ID["EPSG",8885]]

Is that right? Is that working in PROJ 9.1.0? I tried in cs2cs, but the
output was identical. The log showed that both were using raf18 tif file.
Could it have many entries to choose one automatically? I see in the table
geoid_model that there are several "operation_code" for the same "name",
and PROJ chooses one.

I was looking the code trying to understand how the tag GEOIDMODEL is used
in a transformation, but didn't get anything.

Thanks.

PS I do not know how many vertical systems can use different geoid models,
nor what may happen in the future when some countries update their geoid
models.
Entre dos pensamientos racionales
hay infinitos pensamientos irracionales.