[PROJ] Fixing Old Code

support at mnspoint.com support at mnspoint.com
Fri Aug 4 08:27:18 PDT 2023

Hi,

we just traced the TIF tags with our own tracer for GeoTIFF tags and
built first an examiner program to see what is in those files. Then when
noticing that at least some files used "just number" to ESRI/EPGS we had
to add the database to fill those references. But as I said the system
only works as long as nobody adds new definitions and uses references to
them in GeoTIFF files. If I remember correctly there is a way to include
the full definition in the TIF file but the reality seemed to be that
most GeoTIFF files just had that "number" reference.

Most likely your CSV files have some database but is it the one that
includes all what is needed will always be a question (one should at
least be aware that the possibility exists that the conversion later
falls due to missing information in the outdated definitions database).

So the transformations are only as good as the data included is. But
most likely there is an error message that the reference is unknown if
that happens?! But that definitely adds some work since one has to
always make sure to include the most resent definitions with the
package. And sure ESRI/EPSG gets updates all the time since that is why
it is built like that in the first place.

So the GeoTFF file format standard is not good. (Referencing any
projection-datum definition without fully defining and including it in
the file should be forbidden. So to make the GeoTIFF file fully
independent. Now it is not.)

Janne.