[PROJ] Would a proj string ever contain a double quote?

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Mon Aug 21 05:18:07 PDT 2023

"Plieger, Maarten (KNMI) via PROJ" <proj at lists.osgeo.org> writes:

> We have some datasets where the proj string starts and ends with a double quote ("). We want to trim these off in our application (adaguc-server).

Do you mean "in some place where we store proj strings, they have
leading and trailing quotes"?    Or are you really invoking proj
command-line tools or libraries and passing the quotes?

> Do you think a double quote will ever be used in the proj string? E.g. can we simply remove all " signs in the proj string?

Did you read the documentation, and is there a specification?

Removing all " seems like quite a leap and asking for trouble, when you
don't know, and you either haven't read the specification or there isn't
such a rule.  Remember that specifications control what happens in the
future without a breaking change announceent, so how it works today is
only part of the question.

Instead, I would add a rule on reading them that says if leading " and
trailing ", remove those two.

And then look at anything else with a " and think about it.  Please
report back with what you found as it may help others.