[PROJ] World area of use

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Sat Dec 30 11:17:31 PST 2023

Hi Javier,

I don't know the reason for the difference, but if there's one, it would
be interesting to know, and if there's none, converging to World
(without country list, extent 1262) would indeed seem better. Looking at
the few instances that use World by country (extent 2830), there is no
apparent logic. It isn't even related to the type (geographic 2D vs 3D
vs geocentric).

Grep'ping in the change items of the registry (grep epsg_change
PostgreSQL_Data_Script.sql | grep 1262 | grep 2830), shows a global
trend of moving from 2830 to 1262 (with a interesting back & forth for
CRS 8227, IGS14 geocentric, which was changed from 1262 to 2830, and
then later back to 1262)

Even