[PROJ] Motion: Migrate proj.org to ReadTheDocs

Michael Smith michael.smith.erdc at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 07:16:52 PST 2023

Also not a PSC member but it is Open Source, see https://docs.readthedocs.io/en/stable/open-source-philosophy.html

And OSGeo, via the PROJ project will be subscribing to a Gold Membership so there won't be ads. We are just awaiting OSGeo 2023 Budget approval before starting the Gold Membership.

Michael Smith
OSGeo Treasurer
treasurer at osgeo.org

    The service infrastructure of RTD is not completely open source, but quite a bit of it is. Most of its CPU and network is donated. See https://readthedocs.org/sustainability/ for details.

    > I am -1 on any ads appearing, even for a brief time, on anything pointed
    > to officially (vs a staging/proof-of-concept server).  Ads are one
    > thing, but presumably these are targeted ads that are privacy invasive.
    > I am guessing this is in the US and hence no rules but it strikes me as
    > bad practice for osgeo to operate/condone anything that isn't also GDPR
    > compliant.  Same thing for google analytics (or anything that leads to
    > data being captured by a company that engages in invasive advertising).

    I think people might not realize how much positive impact RTD has had on open source documentation infrastructure. PROJ was using an adaptation of the RTD theme when I first released the Sphinx-based docs. A very large number of open source projects leverage it to provide document generation and hosting. There's a safety-in-numbers aspect to RTD as well as the fact that it works very well in comparison to running your own thing. That consumes contributor effort and doesn't benefit from a larger audience having shared experience with RTD as opposed to individual custom setups like we have with PROJ. I totally get that this is the same argument for GitHub, and people have just as big a problem with that too...

    As far as ads go, does your ad blocker not work for some reason? :) We can wait to move the DNS until OSGeo completes the purchase to allow us to shut off the ads.

    Howard