[PROJ] National CRS to ITRS

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed Feb 22 09:16:06 PST 2023

> ER wrote:
>
> >The null transformation between ETRS89 and ETRF2014 comes with the
> definition of the datum ensemble ETRS89 (cf change
> https://github.com/OSGeo/PROJ/issues/3263
> <https://github.com/OSGeo/PROJ/issues/3263>)
>
> The problem is not the null transformation between the ensemble and
> its members, but that the transformation route through ETRF2014 is
> recommended. In my opinion, the route trough ETRF2000 should be the
> default. Not only for the Netherlands but, for Europe in general.

PROJ has no idea of what is recommended/preferred by European
geodestists ;-) It only trusts records in its database.

> Thus ETRS89 -> ETRF2000 -> ITRF2000 -> ITRF2014 instead of ETRS89 ->
> ETRF2014 -> ITRF2014. What makes PROJ choose the latter?

PROJ can only infer pipelines with at most one intermediate CRS. If you
want ETRS89 -> ETRF2000 -> ITRF2000 -> ITRF2014, you need an explicit
concatenated operation chaining the 3 individual steps.