[PROJ] Interface to PROJ from C#

Jonathan Johansen jonathan at t3rra.com
Wed Jan 4 19:08:24 PST 2023

Hi all!

I'm trying to use PROJ 9.1.1 in my C# Windows project, but am not having
any success. A friend has tried to use it from EasyGIS, but ran into an
issue. So I thought I'd try SharpProj (https://github.com/AmpScm/SharpProj),
but I ran into https://github.com/AmpScm/SharpProj/issues/25. So I thought
why not try to use the win DLL directly myself? So I got the 64 bit OSGeo4W
from https://proj.org/install.html#windows, and grabbed all of the DLLs in
the bin folder, and have put them into my project. But it throws a similar
error:
>'Unable to load DLL 'proj_9_1.dll' or one of its dependencies: The
specified module could not be found.
So I thought I'd try to build the DLLS myself and use them. So I've got the
9.1.1 source code, installed cmake, started going through the first
tutorial, and am trying. I'm not familiar with Linux, and I'm building on
Windows (I see one entry in the mailing list from June 2022 about windows),
so this is probably not going to be easy. Anyway, when trying to build it,
I get this:

>D:\Downloads\proj_build>cmake ../proj-9.1.1
-- Selecting Windows SDK version 10.0.19041.0 to target Windows 10.0.19045.
-- Requiring C++11
-- Requiring C++11 - done
-- Requiring C99
-- Requiring C99 - done
-- Configuring PROJ:
-- PROJ_VERSION                   = 9.1.1
-- PROJ_ABI_VERSION               = 9_1
CMake Warning at cmake/ProjConfig.cmake:48 (message):
  Autoconf's D:/Downloads/proj-9.1.1/src/proj_config.h may interfere with
  this CMake build.  Run 'make distclean' in the source directory before
  CMake's build.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  CMakeLists.txt:127 (include)

-- nlohmann/json: internal
CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:176 (message):
  sqlite3 binary not found!

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:181 (message):
  sqlite3 dependency not found!

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:187 (message):
  sqlite3 >= 3.11 required!

CMake Error at C:/Program
Files/CMake/share/cmake-3.25/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:230
(message):
  Could NOT find TIFF (missing: TIFF_LIBRARY TIFF_INCLUDE_DIR)
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  C:/Program
Files/CMake/share/cmake-3.25/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:600
(_FPHSA_FAILURE_MESSAGE)
  C:/Program Files/CMake/share/cmake-3.25/Modules/FindTIFF.cmake:124
(FIND_PACKAGE_HANDLE_STANDARD_ARGS)
  CMakeLists.txt:198 (find_package)

See also "D:/Downloads/proj-9.1.1/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".

I have copied the sqlite3.exe and .dll from OSGeo4W into both folders, and
it still doesn't think sqlite is there. I'll keep going through cmake
tutorials to try to understand how I can satisfy it, but any help is
appreciated - even better if SharpProj can be made to work. At this point I
am a bit sad as I'm in over my head. I can supply a basic project trying to
use the OSGeo4W DLLs too, if you'd like to look at that.

Thanks so much for reading to this point!

*Jonathan Johansen*
M: 0438 922 553 <0438922553>
E: jonathan at t3rra.com
W: http://www.t3rra.com/