[PROJ] Latitude of natural origin in Transverse Mercator

Charles Karney charles.karney at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 07:13:51 PST 2023

These are two interchangeable ways of shifting the northing component of
the projected coordinate.  Mathematically they both do exactly the same
thing and there's nothing the matter with specifying both a latitude of
origin and false northing.  Indeed the Ordnance Survey grid system for
Britain specifies

  central longitude = -2 deg
  latitude of origin = 49 deg
  false northing = - -100 km

This means that a shift is added to the northing component to ensure
that the northing at latitude/longitude = (49 deg, -2 deg) is -100 km.