[PROJ] Axis order

Martin Desruisseaux martin.desruisseaux at geomatys.com
Tue Jul 4 00:08:02 PDT 2023

Hello

Le 04/07/2023 à 09:00, Javier Jimenez Shaw a écrit :

> In FOSS4G I was talking with somebody about axis order mess.
> Well, I have done an SQL query on proj.db to count how many systems
> are using which convention. This is the counting for the projected_crs
> table:

Axis order is not the only thing. There is also different axis units
(e.g. grads).

I see axis order and units as a kind of localization. In the same way
that there is different conventions about date order ("year/month/day",
"day/month/year", "month/day/year", etc.), different countries also use
different axis orders and units. The EPSG database tries to reflect the
practice of the country defining the CRS. So EPSG is not only a registry
of projection parameters, but also (to some extent) of local conventions.

     Martin