[PROJ] conversion from northing-easing system

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Tue Mar 14 11:11:06 PDT 2023

Hi Javier,

> Is that normal?

yes, WKT1_GDAL emulates the behaviour of the GDAL <= 2.4 era. In
particular GDAL <= 2.4 by default didn't include the AXIS[] definitions,
so when importing from such WKT, easting/northing order is assumed.

Note: GDAL 2.4 supported the EPSGA (A for AXIS) pseudo authority, so
when resolving EPSGA:31467, it outputed a WKT1 with AXIS[]. But I didn't
try to emulate that rather esoteric behaviour in the PROJ 6 rewrite.

Bottom line: only use WKT1_GDAL for legacy purposes, understanding that
there are a number of potential stumbling points in doing so.