[PROJ] PROJ / Springer Handbook of Geographic Information

Martin Desruisseaux martin.desruisseaux at geomatys.com
Wed May 3 02:00:53 PDT 2023

Hello Peter

Thanks for this announcement. Since this is the second time that I see
an announcement about a GIS book on this mailing list (I do not remember
if it was the same book) and since GeoTools is mentioned, please allows
me to abuse this mailing list once for bringing a clarification about
GeoTools versus GeoAPI history (with connection to PROJ), in the hope
that it may be relevant to book writers.

In the Java world, a common way to improve interoperability and vendor
neutrality is to define a set of standard interfaces that can be
implemented by multiple vendors. A successful industrial example is the
Java Database Connectivity (JDBC) interfaces. A similar thing is
possible in C/C++ as well (e.g. ODBC), but may be more difficult to do.
More than 20 years ago, OGC initiated a similar effort for GIS with
interfaces in Java, IDL, COM and CORBA. Only the Java part still exists
today (draft Python abstract classes are also proposed), now under an
OGC standard named "GeoAPI". PROJ implements indirectly those
interfaces, through the PROJ-JNI community project. Among the benefits
of that, it is possible to write Java applications capable to use any
GeoAPI implementation, and one such application is the GIGS tests. More
information about how to execute GIGS tests with PROJ-JNI is at [1].
This is of potential interest to the PROJ community because the
application reports a few GIGS test failures when executed with PROJ. I
have not yet reported them to this mailing list because I have not yet
investigated if they are issues with the PROJ library, or with the GIGS
tests, or with the JNI binding between them.

Despite some usages, the OGC GeoAPI standard has not reached the
popularity that I hoped. Personal communications with different
developers confirmed that a major impediment to GeoAPI adoption is the
collision of "org.opengis" package name with GeoTools. The reason for
that collision is outside the scope of this mailing list, but I tried to
explain the historical facts, current situation and planed actions in
[2] for those who are interested in this part of the GIS world.

     Regards,

         Martin

[1]https://github.com/OSGeo/PROJ-JNI/wiki/GIGS-tests
[2]https://desruisseaux.github.io/history/GeoAPI.html