[PROJ] Geodetic vs Geocentric

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed Oct 18 09:14:46 PDT 2023

Le 18/10/2023 à 17:57, Javier Jimenez Shaw via PROJ a écrit :
> Hi
>
> What is the difference between PJ_TYPE_GEODETIC_CRS and
> PJ_TYPE_GEOCENTRIC_CRS?

Geocentric is a specialization of Geodetic (not in the standard, but so
common that we have a subtype for it)

> In crs-explorer.proj.org <http://crs-explorer.proj.org> you can easily
> see how there are no Geodetic systems in EPSG and there are no
> Geocentric systems in IAU_2015...

Geodetic CRS in EPSG are geographic 2D, geographic 3D or geocentric. No
weird/unusual geodetic ones

In IAU_2015, there's indeed no geocentric CRS definition. You may get
PJ_TYPE_GEODETIC_CRS for CRS like IAU:19902 "Mercury (2015) / Ocentric"
whose coordinate system is spherical with planetocentric latitude and
longitude. This is close to a geographic CRS, except that you use
-ocentric latitude (angle between the equatorial plane and the point on
the ellipsoid) instead of a -ographic latitude (the angle between the
equatorial plane and the normal to the ellipsoid at the point of interest).