[PROJ] Geo TIFF non-ASCII encodings

Mircea Neacsu mircea at neacsu.net
Fri Apr 5 04:24:57 PDT 2024

Hi,

> Anyway this would be more a topic for an issue at
> https://github.com/opengeospatial/geotiff/issues . I've added a note
> to the existing
> https://github.com/opengeospatial/geotiff/issues/56#issuecomment-2039505940
Understood, but before jumping there with my opinionated ideas, let me
point out that the root of the problem is the TIFF6.0 standard that
continues to define field type 2 as ASCII. Their exact wording is:
"8-bit byte that contains a 7-bit ASCII code; the last byte must be NUL
(binary zero)" (page 15)

IMO everything would work just fine if this would be replaced with
"8-bit byte that contains UTF8 code units; the last byte must be NUL
(binary zero)". Given that UTF-8 is an extension of ASCII, backwards
compatibility wouldn't be so bad.

Mircea Neacsu