[PROJ] Bump CMake to 3.14+

Erixen Cruz erixen_cruz at earthbrain.com
Fri Jan 5 13:18:23 PST 2024

Hello,

I would like feedback about possibly bumping the minimum CMake version for PROJ to 3.14+. This idea comes from https://github.com/OSGeo/PROJ/pull/3987  where I want to use CMake's FindSQLite3 instead of PROJ's https://cmake.org/cmake/help/latest/module/FindSQLite3.html .

3.16 is available in Travis CI with the Focal (Ubuntu 20.04 LTS) distribution https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/reference/focal/#compilers-and-build-toolchain . Its possible to install a 3.14+ version on Bionic (18 LTS), which is what PROJ uses now.

3.14 was release nearly five years ago https://www.kitware.com/cmake-3-14-0-available-for-download/ so two year old requirement from RFC 3 holds.

What suggestions or problems do you have with this version bump?

Sincerely,
Erixen
[https://www.kitware.com/main/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Release_CMake.jpg]<https://www.kitware.com/cmake-3-14-0-available-for-download/>
CMake 3.14.0 available for download<https://www.kitware.com/cmake-3-14-0-available-for-download/>
I am happy to announce that CMake 3.14.0 is now available for download at:https://cmake.org/download/ The first two 3.14.0 release candidates included the FindOcatave module. This has been removed in rc3, and rc4 pending further development. Documentation is available at:https://cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.14 Release notes appear below and are also published athttps://cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.14/release/3.14.html Some of the more significant changes in […]
www.kitware.com

[https://opengraph.githubassets.com/07f0e75bdf388e24cb98f45339a529183a83c5b471900636d412a6ae9c15d13e/OSGeo/PROJ/pull/3987]<https://github.com/OSGeo/PROJ/pull/3987>
Link to explicit SQLite3 target by ErixenCruz · Pull Request #3987 · OSGeo/PROJ<https://github.com/OSGeo/PROJ/pull/3987>
Added clear title that can be used to generate release notes This change originates from Conan conan-io/conan-center-index#21512 (comment). I create an explicit SQLite::SQLite3 target library and ...
github.com