[PROJ] spatialreference.org updated!

Martin Desruisseaux martin.desruisseaux at geomatys.com
Mon Jan 8 08:04:27 PST 2024

Le 2024-01-08 à 16 h 38, Lesparre, Jochem via PROJ a écrit :

> I guess you mean epsg.io with the ad-supported site? Thanks for this
> clarification of the purpose of spatialreference.org. Hopefully
> epsg.io will soon drop in the Google ranking in favor of
> spatialreference.org! So I can finally stop explaining people that
> they should not use epsg.io, since it is outdated and it mixes up 2D
> and 3D.

I think the biggest problem is that peoples think that epsg.io is the
official EPSG registry, while actually it is unrelated (the official
registry is epsg.org). I keep repeating that in every conferences, and
still see peoples surprised to learn that fact every times. I have been
told that an EPSG layer asked epsg.io to at least put a disclaimer
banner, but they refused to do so. Since EPSG is not a registered
trademark, they have few legal tools for protecting their name.

     Martin